TUNNELLING SAFETY COURSE - TSTS
NB: Breaks for refreshments are included in this overall total
This Tunnelling Safety Training Scheme (TSTS) is a 1 day course for those who work or wish to work in the tunnel construction industry. This course is perfect for those new to the tunnelling industry and a good refresher for those with more experience.
This course was developed by industry experts – and is accredited by the CITB and supported by the British Tunnelling Society (BTS) and Tunnel Skills.
Due to the nature of the training course and the emphasis placed on communication, there is only a provision for the assessments to be undertaken in English. Therefore, candidates for this type of training must be able to understand and speak the English language.
We also offer the 1 day City & Guilds Tunnel Entry and Associated Emergency Procedures (TEEP) course, and can run this and the TSTS course on consecutive days at your premises. We offer a discount when booking both courses to run at your premises.
This TSTS course covers many different safety aspects of the industry, working environments and potential hazards someone may face when working on a tunnelling site.
On this course, delegates will learn:
- Tunnel construction methods, operations conducted within this phase and their impact on the environment
- The health, safety and occupational health hazards and risks of working in tunnelling environments
- Legislation and standards relating to tunnelling and tunnelling environment procedures – including confined spaces, exclusion zones and emergencies
- Risk assessments and risk management
- What is expected of them by way of safe conduct and behaviour whilst working in a tunnelling environment
After completing this course, delegates will:
- Be aware of legislation and standards specific to tunnelling
- Know the health, safety and occupational hazards and PPE requirements in the tunnelling environment
- Be able to understand risk assessment principles and risk management practice in a tunnelling environment, and how these risks are identified and communicated
- Know the generic operations taking place within portals, shaft top and pit bottom areas and their relevance to the tunnelling operation
- Appreciate the basic principles of tunnel construction, tunnelling methods, and their inherent risks, and how each method is influenced by ground types
- Understand the hazards and the controls required with plant, equipment and services in tunnelling operations.
To view the full course timetable click here.
This course is taught by experienced, highly trained instructors. All of our trainers have experience working in hazardous environments and understand the conditions delegates may face at work.
A high proportion of our trainers are also real-life rescuers who attend emergency operations in the UK and around the world.
Delegates who successfully complete this course will receive a CITB qualification and certificate.
To pass this course, delegates must pass a written multiple-choice test. It forms part of the overall assessment as to whether the delegate has successfully achieved a satisfactory level of tunnelling health and safety awareness for a certificate of achievement to be issued.
Certification lasts for 3 years.
Yes – MRS Training & Rescue is a CITB Approved Training Organisation (ATO), and this course qualifies for the Tier 1 CITB short course duration grant (£30). If you’re already registered with CITB we do all the necessary paperwork for you, so you automatically receive the payment.
1 trainer to 20 candidates
- Theory training